The reigning President of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Airconditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Prof. William P. “Bill” Bahnfleth, has just completed a visit to South Africa during the period 9/6/2014 to 13/6/2014 as a guest of SAIRAC. He spent 3 days in Johannesburg and 2 days in Cape Town. President Bahnfleth is the first reigning President of ASHRAE to visit South Africa in an official capacity.
President William P. Bahnfleth. Ph.D., P.E., Fellow of ASHRAE, Fellow of ASME, is a Professor of Architectural Engineering and Director of the Indoor Environment Centre at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. President Bahnfleth is chairman of ASHRAE’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
His academic qualifications include:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering (1979)
- A Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering (1980)
- A Bachelor of Music degree in pipe organ performance (1988)
- A Doctorate in mechanical engineering (1989)
His Presidential Theme, “Shaping the Next”, focuses on embracing our responsibility to “Our World” – fellow humans and the earth, to make buildings safe, healthy, productive, comfortable environments in harmony with nature. To do this he believes we must develop “Ourselves” – the human resource of the professional community, and transform “Our Work” – what we do, how we do it, and who we do it with, by becoming more global in outlook, broader in scope, and more collaborative in approach.
As an ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer President Bahnfleth lectures on the following topics:
- INTEGRATING INDOOR AIR QUALITY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY.
- VARIABLE PRIMARY FLOW CHILLED WATER SYSTEMS.
- COOL THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE AND SUSTAINABILITY.
- ENERGY LABELLING.
- ULTRVIOLET GERMICIDAL IRRADIATION BASICS.
During his visit President Bahnfleth addressed members of SAIRAC and ASHRAE, as well as guests, in Johannesburg and in Cape Town.
His activities during his visit included meetings with/visits to, the following organizations and individuals:
- Consulting Engineers South Africa.
- The Department of Environmental Affairs.
- The South African Bureau of Standards.
- The South African Qualifications Certification Committee.
- The South African Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association.
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
- Academic Institutions.
- Engineers and Technologists in Industry.